|Home||Ministries||Bible Study||Times of Worship||Map & Directions||Contact Info|
This congregation, which was the first church of Christ in Anderson, started May 7, 1933 with 13 charter members who had been meeting with the congregation in Middletown, IN. They united and met in the home of Edgar Felzein on Monroe Street. He later moved to Columbus Avenue where they continued to meet. They then met in the courthouse until they rented a building at 21st Street and Madison Avenue August 29, 1934. They rented this building until they were able to buy it July 20, 1943. They continued to meet there until 1962 when the building was sold.
In April 1959 they purchased four acres at 527 W. 38th Street. Three acres with the buildings was sold to Murl Howard, Willard Brown, and Maurice Howard leaving the church with one acre for a building site.
In 1962 a building committee of five men was selected and they began working on plans for a new building to be constructed on Elmway Drive at 38th St. in the Meadowbrook area. The building at 2103 Madison Ave. was sold and the congregation gave possession of the building on October 16, and began meeting in the Anderson High School auditorium for worship services. Mid-week and social meetings were held in the basement of Jim Callender's home.
The church met for the first time on January 13, 1963 in the new building at 601 W. 38th St., having been given that address by the city. This congregation has been through many ups and downs throughout the years and as in the parable of the sower we have had some who have fallen away. However, there are those who have stood like the Rock of Ages receiving strength from the Ancient of Days that they might be able to stand against Satan. This congregation is always "earnestly contending for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." This faithful congregation is always "abounding in the work of the Lord" and has encouraged others "as a light that shineth in a dark place."
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2007 - 2014 Internet